The Journal of Sound and Music in Games (JSMG) is seeking a Reviews Editor. The Reviews Editor is a voluntary position on the JSMG Editorial Board, and responsibilities include:
- Identifying recent books and other material for review.
- Contacting potential contributors to solicit reviews of particular material, and respond to potential contributors who contact the journal wishing to write a review.
- Contacting publishers to request review copies of books and other material.
- Receiving and editing submitted reviews.
- Contacting authors of reviewed material to ask if they would like to respond to the review; receive and edit subsequent responses.
- Coordinating with the Associate Editors and Editor-in-Chief to prepare reviews and responses for each quarterly issue of the journal.
- Ensuring a diversity of voices and perspectives in the reviews section of the Journal.
- Representing the Journal at conferences/other events, and participate in editorial meetings to contribute to the development of the Journal.
- University education (or significant experience dealing with scholarly materials), ideally in a broadly relevant subject area.
- Excellent working knowledge of the field of scholarship.
- Very good English language proficiency.
- Ability to communicate effectively with authors in order to produce timely delivery of materials.
- Ability to navigate delicate situations and communicate with authors diplomatically.
- An understanding of the tone appropriate for review in an academic journal.
Professional editing experience is not required for this position.
We welcome expressions of interest to the editors (firstname.lastname@example.org) in this post by 31st July 2021.